Quite a few years since I’ve done a lot of punching and kicking in a class. Before I forget, things I found out that I learnt:
- When punching / kicking continuously at a heavy bag / focus pads; wraps and gloves are good. If nothing more than to save the knuckles on your hands
- I hit too much with the last couple of knuckles – right hand little finger knuckle skin came off
- My left cross has a tendency to drift outwards and come in a circle instead of snapping right out. Also, I’m way too lazy on both sides with putting a proper twist to my hips to generate power.
- I fight southpaw naturally, though my lead hand is my right.
- I throw way too many crosses as a start especially when I’m in southpaw
- My right roundhouse though (from orthodox in particular) is very powerful. My left roundhouse needs more work
- Heck, kicks in general from orthodox / left need a lot more work
- I need to work on shifting stances more often and more dynamically. Time to do more research
- I need to work combinations more, especially straights and body hook combinations. Not as fluid as I’d like it to be.
- Same with the front kick / switch / back leg roundhouse & forward plant roundhouse. (From orthodox, that’d be right front kick, right roundhouse after switch, plant with right foot forward and left roundhouse).
- Don’t rush – plant my feet more before I throw a combination so each has power. I’ll probably want to change that up a bit in a fight to throw both speed / power shots but it’s a good habit to make sure I’m throwing proper shots in drill.
- Work on planting my foot better so I can throw a proper high roundhouse and pivoting all the way through.
Things I’m unsure I need to work on, have to consider:
- Breathing out more harshly when I hit. I do so normally, but not in the explosive manner these guys like.
- Hands in muay-thai / boxer stance. Shoulders raised, elbows in a lot more, hands at same height (or almost) and covering face much higher.
Other general observations:
- Movement fluidity came back after a while
- Same with combinations before I started flagging
- Cardio isn’t as bad as I thought, didn’t have a huge amount of rest but I kept it up for nearly an hour and a half
- I obviously didn’t kick things as much as I should – bruises all along my shin / top of my foot
Overall, good training. Time to get back to it properly.